In The Happiness Advantage, Shawn Achor, who spent over a decade living, researching, and lecturing at Harvard University, draws on his own research—including one of the largest studies of happiness and potential at Harvard and others at companies like UBS and KPMG—to fix this broken formula. Using stories and case studies from his work with thousands of Fortune 500 executives in 42 countries, Achor explains how we can reprogram our brains to become more positive in order to gain a competitive edge at work.
Isolating seven practical, actionable principles that have been tried and tested everywhere from classrooms to boardrooms, stretching from Argentina to Zimbabwe, he shows us how we can capitalize on the Happiness Advantage to improve our performance and maximize our potential. Among the principles he outlines:
- The Tetris Effect: how to retrain our brains to spot patterns of possibility, so we can see—and seize—opportunities wherever we look.
- The Zorro Circle: how to channel our efforts on small, manageable goals, to gain the leverage to gradually conquer bigger and bigger ones.
- Social Investment: how to reap the dividends of investing in one of the greatest predictors of success and happiness—our social support network
The TED Talk
TRANSLATIONS & PUBLISHERS
Book Club Guide
- Brazil (Editora Saraiva)
- Czech Republic (ANAG)
- China -Simplified Chinese- (Cheers Press)
- France (Belfond)
- Holland (Servire/Kosmos)
- Indonesia (Freedom Institute of Jakarta)
- Italy (La Scuola di Palo Alto)
- Japan (Tokuma Shoten)
- Korea (Chungrim)
- Russia (Exmo)
- Spain (RBA)
- Turkey (Kapital Medya Hizmetleri)